And then there was nothing.

(May 17, 2008)

Day 32

Title: Breakfast, Here I Come

Title: Wobble Wiggle

Title: The Release

Title: Christmas Decorations in May

What a day, what a day. This has been one of the happiest, most complete days of my life. Bonnie turned 3, I got to hang out with some great people, and I got sunburned. Maybe that's not a good thing in itself, but it means that I was outside for a long time and it was sunny. I've either been sick or had to work on any nice day since graduation, so this was the first "summer" day I've had this summer.

I can't believe I'm about to blog about the following subject matter...

Farts have shapes. The shapes are basically dictated by the duration, power, and decibel level of the flatus. This is not my theory, so don't think I'm all weird for coming up with these things. Anyway, Ally says that most of mine are like bullets: small and with high velocity. This prompted me to wonder: IF (not that I am) someone was to try to find the epicenter of smell having originated from a bullet fart, would they search close to the "barrel of the gun", or would they look a good 4 or 5 feet away in the direction of firing? I personally believe the latter is more plausible, and I imagine it looks like an Active Galactic Nucleus galaxy with radio lobes. There are big plumes of radio-loud gas a good distance from the galactic nucleus with radio jets (a "vapor trail" if you will) leading to them.

On a different topic, I'm naming pictures again. I did it for the first 24 days of the project, and not once did I get the impression that people actually noticed them. I had initially introduced them as a way to further my artistic control. I'm no expert, but I believe that art should move you, subtly manipulate your perceptions or emotions or whatever. I was trying to use the titles as a tangible expression of that, but they quickly became more burdensome than meaningful. I decided to try removing them silently to see what would happen, and I had several requests to recontinue them. I have willingly obliged, but with a different intention in mind. Now they are a description, a reference point, more playful than deep. They hold little or no artistic value, since that was what got me down about them in the first place.

Oh, and "Christmas Decorations in May" refers to the fact that those pushpins were used to hold garland to the pillars outside our house for Christmas two years ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOL'ed at this post, especially the picture with the "butthole" and "fart" annotation.

Diane said...

Wow, whoever thought of that astounding fart theory must be a genius. I wonder if they've published research in any journals about the subject ;)

Diane said...

Oh, wait, so you ate breakfast at the Sprint store?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're naming again. BUT- I liked to try and decipher the artistic meaning behind your other titles.
Have the girls test you "barrel of the gun" theory, not Ally.

The A in AJ said...

This is one of my favorite posts thus far. First, I'm just vain and super stoked that I'm the subject of one of your posts, two, I laughed so hard at your fart theory and analogies that I farted bullets, and three, well, I don't have a three, but I am glad you and I hung out and got sun. I am pretty sunburned, and I too am super stoked about that. Lets play again soon.
I agree with Dick up there; I loved your titles that were "artistic." They do add to the creativity, they're fun, interesting, and add to the picture as well. But I also really like the title Wobble Wiggle, so I guess I could go either way (haha).

scott lawan said...

"can air farts"

sound, but no smell

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com