And then there was nothing.

(February 18, 2009)

Day 309

The Ladies



Apparently I have an affinity for overexposing Hannah.

----------

Sorry I'm not doing much updating. Lately I've been spending most of my computer time bettering my web development/graphic design/figuring out how to log in to my SFTP account via FileZilla (I now have it, but thanks for nearly clicking on "0 comments" below to let me know what I was doing wrong) skillz.

I've beed doing some playing around, and I think I almost have a bare-bones version of rhymeswithmilk.com ready. It's simple, clean, and—to be honest—contentless. The purpose I intend for it to serve is as a jumping-off point to my different corners of the internet. It's an "Everything Michael" link hub.

I bet you're all so fucking excited to finally have one of those, huh?

----------

So it appears that the new Google friend connect widget (that you can see at the top of my left sidebar) has replaced Blogger's Blogger-account only version. You might notice that it takes up a lot more vertical space. There are a lot of interesting articles out there about browser's CSS defaults (if you don't define certain properties in your websites' CSS documents, then the browser imposes its default values on those properties) and how to get rid of them (more-or-less) if it pleases you to do so. I specifically made the follower div 120 pixels tall because that was plenty of space to accommodate the old version. Though the widget has now changed, the containing div has not and is still 120 pixels tall. That means that the div right below it (the one with "and then there was nothing" in it) starts at pixel 121 (from the bottom of the header margin) even though the widget (NOT the div, remember) extends to at least pixel 200.

What I'm leading up to is that in Firefox, its defaults make it so that the bottom 80ish pixels of the widget are still visible and merely overlap the surrounding divs (ie the "and then there was nothing" div). Conversely, everything beyond the top 120 pixels of the widget are hidden in Chrome and the "and then there was nothing" div is still whistling merrily since it has not been forcefully overtaken. I don't know how it behaves in other browsers, but it doesn't matter because these two display opposite CSS defaults. Firefox defaults the overflow property to visible whereas Chrome defaults to overflow: hidden.

Someone somewhere in some Google cubicle made that decision, probably arbitrarily. Or I wonder if a team or a board or a group had to come up with a joint decision for all defaults. I mean some browsers even put borders around images by default. Why? Who thought that would be a good idea? Who assumed that if the designer didn't think they needed to add border: 1px solid #000000; to their CSS that they ACTUALLY meant that they DID in fact want a 1 pixel wide black border around their images. At least it seems arbitrary to me.

Was this interesting? You be the judge. I will point out that I just spent half an hour figuring this shit out and writing it down for you all, so I think you know whether or not I'm interested.

----------

BTW, I'm over trying to get viewers to this blog. I recently realized that it's a lot of work trying to get people you don't know to care about you. And unless you drug your children, can play bomb guitar riffs on your keyboard (and then subsequently get approached by the drummer from STS9 (who I have served beer to (score!)) with some beats for you to mess around with), or are hilariously catchy, you're NOT going to become an internet celebrity.

----------

Happy bday, Dust. I'm glad you're okay, but a call or a text wouldn't hurt.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE these photos.

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com