And then there was nothing.

(February 27, 2009)

On Photography...

Listen, this has been a long time coming. I need to take a break from blogging since it has become slightly less than priority these days.

For starters, the laboriousness of the daily project has made me resent my photographs, photoshop, this blog, and its readers. I have very little to complain about, I know, since there are hundreds of other photographers out there that are still going strong after their first year; I'm sure they too know the meaning of laborious. I commend all of them for doing something that I am currently not capable of.

Since I am able/willing to devote little time to photography some days, I naturally find myself disliking the outcome. I would much rather devote a few days a week to finding some shots that I'm really pleased with than haphazardly taking throw-aways every day. By doing so, I would hope to capture some of that original excitement I had with this blog, and with my first-ever dSLR.

I am not a photographer and I am not an artist. I am a hobbyist. This is not my dream, nor is it my life. It is something that I love to do, and I would like to keep loving it. If I keep going with the daily project, at this rate I'll start hating photography by summer. It's tough to keep doing a hobby you despise. I'm not going to wait around and see if that day actually comes.

Am I quitting? Maybe. Call it whatever you'd like. But what I am doing for certain is finding the joy in my photography again, and sharing that joy with you here from time to time. This means that you shouldn't delete RWM from your bookmarks quite yet. I will shoot pictures, I will update, I will post, I will keep you posted.

Sorry. Kinda.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh... keep at it. It has been so fun to follow. Your photos are amazing! XO

Anonymous said...

are you kidding me? I fucking hate photography.

-mark

Robot said...

you gotta do what you gotta do! when what you love becomes unfun, take a break fo sho...
i totally agree with the idea of spending a few days on a picture you actually like... daily is too much to expect to take and edit something you'll like...
anyway i'll miss the dailyness but i hope you regain your happylove for photography! thanks for not letting us bring you down!

Unknown said...

All things live and die in their time. Sometimes they just stagger along the sidewalk for awhile until they fall into the gutter. You are also full of shit. You ARE a photographer whether you care to use that label or not. Keep doing your thing and keep having fun. Love ya!

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com