And then there was nothing.

(February 3, 2009)

Day 294

She Made Me Feel Happy

Didn't really take any pictures today. This was it.

I've come really close to quitting this project over the last month. I think a big part of that is that I'm not going outside much now that it's cold and the sun sets between 3 & 4 o' the clock. I don't have any speedlights, and have taken pictures of just about everything I find interesting in my house anyway.

It also doesn't help that I've been getting really far behind on my editing. After New Zealand, it took me a while to catch up but I finally did it. Then for some reason, I missed a few days randomly and then got sick, only to realize that I had gotten more than 2 weeks behind.

I'm getting back into it again. I want to take pictures again. And I'm nearly caught up on editing. This photo is from february 3rd, and I'm posting it on the 10th. I've taken very few pictures in the week between, so editing those shouldn't prove to be much of a hurdle.

I hate getting stuck. I start blaming my gear, thinking that it's not good enough to create interesting images. Then I start blaming my photoshop abilities. Then my confidence. Then my desire. Then my interest. Then I find photoblogs by guys my age with only as much experience as me that are taking phenomenal photos days after day and getting explored at least once a week, and all of my feeling get reinforced.

But fuck that. I'm not going to give up. I can take a good picture, too, if I really put my mind to it. This project has only about 2 months left (at least the first leg of it), so I'm going to try to squeeze some photos out of that time that I'm actually proud of.

This is not one of those photos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sun doesn't set until about 5:20 dude... Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Emily Rubin said...

Dear Mike,

I really admire you and what you wrote in this post. It takes a real man to be aware of and admit his faults, doubts and worries. The best part is that you were willing to share it. And once you share something, you can move through it. So here's to Mike Kohn, the best blogger/photographer around. Keep 'em coming!

Love,
Emily

PS. I just started a blog. www.fullbellyfertility.com. Thanks for your encouragement!

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com