And then there was nothing.

(February 12, 2009)

Day 3OH!3

Colorado Sunshine




So you might be wondering why there's that blank area right there ↑ above the text and below the picture. Since most of you have probably already pressed Ctrl+U (mac users: Cmd+U) and scrolled down to where it says

<embed src="http://www.rhymeswithmilk.com/media/3oh3_coloradosunshine.mp3" autoplay="false" loop="true" width="367" height="14"></embed>

you already know why. Probably both you and I, however, have no feakin clue why a lil' quicktime bar isn't showing up there and playing a gloriously streaming song. For some reason, though, if you actually go to the above mentioned URL the song will in fact play.

You also might be curious about how it's hosted on rwm.com and unlike other songs I've posted before, this one is still going to play (at it's source URL) tomorrow. Well it's because I've finally invested in some server space. For those of you that aren't too technically inclined, here's an approximate summary of what that means:

There essentially is an abstracted computer somewhere in the world sitting in a climate controlled room full of abstracted computers that are always connected to the internet. When you type rhymeswithmilk.com into your address bar, I have made the great phonebook of the internets point you to one little section of that abstracted computer that is designated for me. That little section contains a tiny notepad file called index.html with a small amount of crappily written html code that your browser (most likely Firefox if my analytics is at all accurate) interprets and outputs a visual that looks like my homepage. Since it is always (more-or-less) connected to the internet, you should be able to go to that webpage as often as you'd like and it should always be there.

Now, you remember that notepad file (it's not reeeeeeeally a notepad file, it was just created there) I just mentioned? Well, it's not the only thing on that computer associated with my website. I can upload pretty much anything I damn well please since hosting services these days are the bomb-diggity and give you unlimited space. Yeah, that's right, UNLIMITED. So I can upload terabites worth of shit and their hardware shouldn't blow up or anything. Long story short, 3OH!3's song is now on that computer, fully clickable and listen-to-able, but apparently not embedable.

Here's what I was doing for several hours today in an attempt to make myself more marketable to the computer programming/web development industry. Though the page looks like shit, and the html you see by pressing Ctrl+U (Cmd+U for the mac assholes) looks unimpressive, what went into generating that html is actually pretty neat.

I'm going to keep working at it, though, and once I start feeling comfortable enough, I'll start incorporating it into my actual web design. So there's more to come in the near future. Much more.

0 comments:

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com