And then there was nothing.

(April 29, 2008)

Day 14

Title: Osmosis


For the first 365 days of Mark's 365 day photo project (of which this blog plagiarizes/gets its inspiration) he posted online each picture on its respective day before midnight. I secretly want to do this too, though it might prove to be difficult. I could see Greece as being a problem. Since I just told you about it, it's not really a secret anymore which means that I could let more people than just myself down if I don't pull through. But on a positive note, feeling that pressure might help keep me on track. This is sort of like Ally's mentality with her new workout routine which is being maintained by a guy that she works with. If she doesn't abide by his prescribed plan, she's not only wasting her own time, she's wasting his. I guess it's an altruistic thing. Or something else, I don't know.

Tonight, I got home from work at about 11:30pm, and I thought I wasn't going to make it. I posted the picture at ~11:56, and am writing this after the fact. I figure that it counts as long as the picture is out there on the great world wide web before midnight. The ramblings accompanying the picture are of secondary importance.

I've realized that "starting real life" is only one of my worries with graduating. One of my biggest fears is that I'm going to lose a lot of friends. I'm not the greatest friend in the world, and I'm afraid that I'm never going to see some of the people I really care about because I won't have school as an automatic, effortless reason to hang out with them. Scott's post really impacted me and made me want to keep in better touch with people. On my birthday, I tried a new thing where I responded to every person that posted birthday wishes on my Facebook wall. I found it really rewarding, and some really good email conversations have started because of it. I basically re-befriended some old friends because of it.

I've been keeping a mental list (it might someday manifest itself on here...) of the people that I want to stay friends with after I graduate. Emily suggested today that I print out the list and hang it on my fridge. I could put four or five little boxes (as a minimum) next to each name for me to check off each time I hang out with one of them, and I have to check each box before summer is over. At that point, maybe there'll no longer be a need for a list and being friends will be become automatic and effortless again. We won't need school as a buffer anymore. Oddly, I like almost everyone I work with and am pretty good friends with many of them, yet not one of them is on the list (for after I leave the Cafe)(except Emily, of course). I hope none of them read this.

Are you on the list? Would you even want to be on the list? How good of friends are we?

Don't answer. It might depress me.

1 comments:

Michael said...

Blogger bricarr said...
hey, keep up the daily photos. It's becoming an important part of my day. I think the tree photo is amazing and appropriate for the end of your final week I at CU. I think the tree is sexy. I think I need help. You will not have trouble keeping or making new friends. good luck on the rest of your finals.
April 30, 2008 11:10 AM

Blogger Ally B said...
You're going to have to really work on keeping in touch with me... and Bonnie and Hannah. After graduation, we are going to be really busy starting my feminist brothel.
I think that this picture is cool, and I like the name. I must admit that the pink in the tree and the red sweatshirt do make me uncomofortable (I hate those colors together... freshman year dorm memories coming back), but that's what art is supposed to do.
April 30, 2008 1:03 PM

Anonymous AJ said...
I've been trying to get a good picture of these wonderful blossoms, but have failed misserably. You, however, have kept it from being cliché, and in fact, took a beautiful picture.

I'm going to miss you so much when I leave. You've become one of my best friends and I would do anything for you. I can't wait to get out of school because then we can play. I hope I out check you check list boxes.

You'll be fine. I'm not worried. Its ok to be worried about it, but I wouldn't let it depress you too much. You're a great guy and have a great girlfriend to support and love you, and you'll always have your family, and you'll always have at least one friend outside of them.
April 30, 2008 2:35 PM

Anonymous dad said...
Just wanted to say how proud I am of you two graduating. You won't have any problems in the friend department, as long as you use your check list. It does relationships do take effort from BOTH sides.

Love the photo.

Ask Ally B to screen the girls' clients.....no STD's.
April 30, 2008 4:18 PM

Anonymous PLK said...
You did a beautiful job capturing the essence of spring. You've got to seize the moment or it will be gone before you know it. I love reading both yours and Diane's blogs, and enjoy the amazing photos.
Don't worry about the friend thing. You will make the effort to keep your meaningful relationships alive, and your list will be forever growing. I've always known that about you. I can hardly wait until next week. Graduating is such an accomplishment. Love you honey!
April 30, 2008 5:51 PM

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com