And then there was nothing.

(May 15, 2008)

Day 30

Title: Bright Night

One month down, eleven to go. I'm still excited, that's more photography in one month than I've ever done. I've been thinking a lot about the advantages of spontaneous versus premeditated shots. Sometimes I find myself sitting on a concept for a while before I actually shoot it, and it rarely turns out as well as I had envisioned. It's often the spontaneous shots that turn out the best. But you can't plan a spontaneous shot...I guess that's the point.

I think I'm waiting to take preplanned pictures until I get my new camera in working order (lenses should be coming soon). I've been really hurting myself, though, by not going out and taking pictures during the day. Lately, 4 o'clock will roll around before a single picture has been taken, and then I go to work until 11. When am I supposed to get a unique picture in? I've already taken several of the cafe, a million of crap around my house, and I'm getting bored with it. Maybe this will help motivate me to get out of my house for the summer and do some cool shit so I can make all of you a little happier by posting something easy on the eyes. This picture is the result of me putting off taking pictures today. I took my camera to work with me, and I was training someone (Miss Day 7), so i had some free time while she kept an eye on our tables. I took my camera out to the side patio, expecting to take some lame picture of the courthouse clock or something. Then I noticed that the nearly black sky (this was taken at about 8:50pm) had enough light that it turned a vibrant blue when I left the shutter open for a while. The composition isn't optimal, but I'm just amazed at how the dark dark sky transformed into this.

My current camera is kind of lame-o, and the sensor isn't great. It's a 4ish year old point-and-shoot, so I wouldn't expect much less. I do have to admit, though, that it's been great to me over the last several years. Regardless, the pictures it takes are usually dull with little saturation and contrast. Therefore, I tweak them just a little (typically just using Curves in Photoshop) until they look a little better. So far I've been doing the editing on my old laptop. I just recently acquired a new old computer, and my pictures look terrible on it. They look like they were drawn with a clown's facepaint. The screen colors are quite different from my laptop's, of that I'm sure (it's also an older CRT monitor). I'm not sure if my new monitor just has overly saturated colors, or if my laptop is just dull. If the latter is true, then I'm sorry to all of you that think my pictures look over-manipulated/mutilated.

They look good on this end, though.

3 comments:

Photomoto said...

I would say to you Mike what do you want the Daily Picture Project to be? A chance to show everyone an awesome photo everyday?

OR

Is this supposed to document your life. You mentioned that you write for yourself, and not others.

Do you shoot for others or yourself?

The readers getting pictures from your house perhaps tell us that much of your life is oriented around your house. Perhaps your life was very much oriented around your house growing up...or maybe it wasn't...

You have been going to work a lot..and perhaps your aren't totally fond of it...so work that into your pictures. The viewers will think, "ah yes. He has been working a lot, and I can tell it is boring" (take a boring picture).

This is my suggestion for you. I find the documentation of ones life much more interesting than hunting for pictures.

To me the process of the documenting is the art form...and therefore yields good photos.

I don't always follow my own philosophy, but I try to do so as much as possible.

You have been documenting for the whole project. I have been given insights into what you have been doing and things like that.

Do not be over concerned with going out to take awesome pictures. Just be.

(end of ridiculously long comment)
(Taking my advice is not necessary , just a critique)

Diane said...

Ok, so I can't compete with the length and depth of that previous comment. All I was going to say was that "your" camera's not lame-o because you're using mine.

Yep, that's about as deep as I can get.

Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I told you I'd be reading and I like to keep my promises. Good stuff, but don't get too cocky. Remember, I'm family and I'm watching. Hope you and Ally are enjoying your well-deserved freedom. I frickin' miss you guys! Tell Bonnie to shake what her mama gave her.

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com