And then there was nothing.

(July 3, 2008)

Day 79

Title: Rainmaker

Tonight was hard. Work was long and hot and sweaty. But I made a lot of money.

The above picture was not of the money I made tonight. I only came home with 7 bills, a far cry the 154 pictured, yet those 7 are still worth about 10.292% that of the 154. Here are some easy math problems for you to help fight off impending Alzheimer's / to keep your brain sharp during the summer / to be an awesome math nerd like me:

1) If I made $155 tonight and took home only 50s, 20s, and 5s, how many of each bill do I have?

2) How much is the pictured money worth?

3) How many of each bill are pictured? Some facts to help you out:
a) There is at least one of each of the following bills: 50s, 20s, 10s, 5s, and 1s
b) The 50s, 10s and 1s together make up two less than half of the total amount of bills
c) There are ten more 5s than there are 10s
d) The 20s and 1s together are worth $1286
If you're paying attention, you will notice that you now have five equations and five unknowns. When checking this problem to make sure it's solvable, I somehow didn't get whole numbers for the amount of each bill, but they were less than 0.1 away from the correct answer, and the rounded totals were in fact the correct answers.

NOTE: All answers can be found at the bottom of Day 7. Thanks to this awesome website for helping me through some of this.

By the way, AJ, are you alive? Did you make it to NZ, or are you hanging out with Jack and Kate right now? I still haven't heard news of your landing and such.


0 comments:

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com