And then there was nothing.

(March 1, 2009)

Steel Yards

When I went to title this post, I typed in "Day" and then looked at Adobe Bridge to see what today's folder is numbered. Even though I hadn't kept up with the daily picture lately, I still think this new sporadic blogging is going to take some getting used to. I also just realized that I don't have to start the post with a photo. I think I'm going to exercise that right just because I can. In fact, I'm just going to sprinkle them into the post randomly.

Also, I'd like to note that I'm going to start uploading full resolution images to Flickr (just because? for backup purposes? honestly, I don't know why I'm doing it. maybe it's just because I haven't really used my pro account to my advantage yet.), and have therefore set the privacy to be a little more strict. Only my contacts can see larger sizes of these images, so if any of you want a larger copy (I don't see why you would...), let me know via the email listed over there → in the sidebar and I'll shoot that over your way (pun?).



----------

On with the real post:

Dustin is in a high school photo class, and one of his first assignments is to shoot a b&w roll. The first half of the photos could be of anything (he shot those when we went walking around on Day 307), and the rest of architecture. I had shot at the Steel Yards on a photoadventure back in September and liked the textures of the area.




Yep. Not a whole lot more to say about that. Oh, we took Hannah with us and she was a little angel (as always).

----------

I'm starting—ever so slowly—to make a WordPress blog over on my own server. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try to migrate this whole thing over there when it's ready or if I'm going to start fresh. We'll see.

Speaking of my server, I finally uploaded my current progress on rhymeswithmilk.com's homepage. Thanks to the magic of jEdit and WAMP, I've been able to develop everything in the privacy of my own computer. There comes a time, though, when you actually want to see your stuff out there live, at the fingertips of the world, even though the page has nothing on it...

It's taken a long time for me to do such a simple stupid page, I know, but that's because I've been spending most of my time on that background image. At first I thought about how I really don't care what the background looks like, but then I got to thinking about how I don't even know how to use Adobe Illustrator which is one of their flagship programs. I guess I just took this opportunity to give myself a crash course. At least it'll look good on a résumé (I'm hoping) and that's what this whole thing is about in the first place, right?

In Firefox, if you press Ctrl+U you can view the raw html of my site that I've spent all this time writing. Looks pretty simple, right? First of all, I'm trying to streamline it as much as possible, so simple is good. But then look at the top where it says

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="rwm.css">

That href= is pointing to a CSS file that I also had to write (CSS defines the style of the site from what color the font is to what image pops up below the links). Now go to http://www.rhymeswithmilk.com/rwm.css to see it. Formulating that stuff from scratch is a biotch. I decided not to use any templates or anything else to write that. I figured that trial-and-error was the best way for me to exercise my knowledge. Now that I have the basics of it down on paper, the rest should be pretty smooth sailing. At least I hope.

----------

Questions? Concerns? Murder might take place here.

2 comments:

scott lawan said...

rwm is cute. maybe you'd rather i describe it as "rad" or "metalicious" or "lawanasaurus", but the tie and buttons? fucking cute!

<3
scott

Unknown said...

Great first web page bud!! It does look like you w/o a head. Hey, I'm serious about the photoclub and am ready to start. Talk to your friends and see what a good day is for y'all. Free beer!

email
mike at rhymeswithmilk.com